Gariguette strawberry blancmange with lemon verbena
Ingredients for 6 people
- 400g Gariguette strawberries
- 200g heavy cream (15% fat)
- 200g cream cheese (20% fat)
- 4 egg whites
- 12 lemon verbena leaves (2 sachets)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 100g Natsuc sugar
- 3 sheets of gelatin or 8g agar agar
For the coulis
- 200g ripe strawberries
- 5cl balsamic vinegar
- 30g Natsuc
Assembling the blancmange
- Mix the cream cheese and cream in a bowl.
- Place the gelatin in another bowl containing cold water until it softens.
- Infuse the verbena leaves in 6 tablespoons hot water + lemon juice for 4 min.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and make an Italian-style meringue by sprinkling sugar into the food processor.
- Dissolve the drained gelatin sheets or agar agar powder in the infusion.
- Stir in the cream cheese/cream mixture.
- Add half of the meringue using a spatula, fold in gently and when the mixture is smooth, add the other half.
- Take 6 tumblers and place ½ the washed strawberries around the bottom (as if you were making a strawberry tart).
- Add the blancmange to the same height as the strawberries.
- Place a few strawberries in the centre of the glasses and cover with 2cm of blancmange.
- Chill for at least 2 hrs.
Tangy strawberry coulis
- Wash and quarter the remaining strawberries.
- Heat a saucepan until it is dry and then throw in your strawberries.
- Leave the strawberries to caramelize and then deglaze with the balsamic vinegar.
- Reduce the vinegar by 2/3 and deglaze with 1dl of cold water.
- Simmer for 5 to 6 min. Filter and sweeten with sugar to taste when cold.
- Take out your glasses and drizzle over the cold, tangy coulis.
Decorate with a verbena leaf and 1 strawberry.